Wednesday, February 17, 2016

90th Birthday Letter for Grandpa Goff February 15, 2016

February 15, 2016

Dear Grandpa

I wish I could take a lot of time and sit down and come up with a poem, but unfortunately I don't have the time to do that.  If you could just attach the longest standing picture on the fridge to this little note as well I would appreciate that.  (If anyone is curious, the longest standing picture is indeed with me as a little baby and Grandpa wearing his straw hat).

I'm going to keep this short, but one character trait I admire about Grandpa is his devotion to family. It's incredible seeing how his loyalty to family has rubbed off on all his kids, and subsequently on all his grandkids. Hand in hand with his devotion to family is his ability to love others.  I remember when Aaron came to Utah to visit with us, Grandpa took the two of us down to the Cooper Mine together.  Anyway, ever since that time, Grandpa has almost always asked how Aaron is, and told me to pass on a hello.  Aaron was always really appreciative of that, and was just really impressed how Grandpa always asked about him.  That's just one of many examples of the love that Grandpa develops for others, quickly and without any expectation of something in return.

Grandpa, I love you!  I miss you, and I'm so grateful for your example in my life.  I miss just sitting and listening to you and Grandma fill me in on bits of your life.  Thank you for all that you do for me, and you're wonderful example of loving others and devotion to family. Have a wonderful 90th birthday!

Love, 

Elder Belnap

No comments:

Post a Comment