Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4, 2016

Dear Family and Friends, 

Well, this week doesn't have a lot of substance to it, because I was sick...again.  I've always been the companion who has been sick on the mission, never the one who has to care for and help his companion.  Somehow I got bronchitis 2 saturdays ago, and ended up spending most of the week trying to rest and stop coughing.  I'm doing a lot better now, so I'm excited and think that we'll have a good week :).  I think when I come home, I'll wear the original black suit and the original shirts that I came into the MTC with, I can go swimming in my collars now.  I'm going to buy another suit from a missionary soon, who was the size I currently am when he started his mission, but has since lost 40 pounds, because one of the suits that I bought has pants that are too small.  It'll be a good present for Spencer when I get home :).  While I'm on the topic...HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCER!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY REBECCA!  Woo, hope your 4th of July celebrations are fun, glad to hear that Spencer's celebrations were fun, and hope that Rebecca's soon-to-be birthday celebrations are fun!

Again, there really is nothing to report this week, but we were able to go to church on Sunday and a less active member that we've been working with managed to make iton Sunday!  Our investigators have a baptismal date, but don't understand the Sabbath Day and it's importance, so we will be talking about that with them soon, and the blessings we are promised by following the probably most often-forgotten of the 10 commandments.  

Just a little thought this week while reading in the Book of Mormon.  I love Jacob 2:8 which says: 8 And it supposeth me that they have come up hither to hear the pleasing word of God, yea, the word which healeth the wounded soul.

A lot of times in the church we get caught up in the menial, losing the forest for the trees, President Uchtdorf gave a great analogy of that when talking about a woman who had to make a quilt for her lesson on Sunday, gave a lot of time and effort into making this quilt, hung it up behind her and started her lesson and told the class the topic of today's lesson written on the quilt which said "Simplify".  At the end of the day, we all need the grace that only Christ can give, and when we gather in the church, it's to grow and hear the pleasing word of God, which heals the wounded soul.  I know that that is true, I've seen how I've changed and how the people around me have changed, just by reading the scriptures, coming to church, and trying our best to live the way the Savior did.  There's a quote by President Packer that says: "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior.” 

I love you all and I hope you have a great week!  You're all in my prayers, but especially Grandma and Grandpa this week, I love you both so very much!

Love, 

Elder Belnap

A couple of pictures of the church building in Vyborg!  It's one of 2 actual chapels in Russia and it's beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment